Old 15-09-2008, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Anyone identify this (wild?) flower/weed

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| Lucky you - it's cyclamen. Ours are coming out now. They're charming
| little shuttlecocks.
|
| From the small leaf coming and the fact it is flowering now its Cyclamen
| hederifolium

My C. coum is in full flower now. The reason that it doesn't follow
the 'usual' schedule is that it is in the rain shadow of the eaves,
and thus is always fully dormant in the summer. Whether it goes
dormant in the winter or not depends on the temperature.

The leaf shape is the only way that I know that makes it easy to
distinguish the two.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.