Old 15-09-2008, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

I've never actually reacted to Barley, at least not in the past...

Wheat allergy is it then?

Seems to be... altho' I can tolerate ramen pasta if I limit the
quantity. :-) Bread makes me the sickest of all.

And it shoots my glucose levels up too. :-(

I do hope you've had a screening TTG done--- though false negatives are
not unusual if you're not consuming much gluten.

Glucose Tolerance Test?

Gluten, not glucose. TTG is "tissue transglutaminase"--- a screening
test to check the seriousness of gluten sensitivity, if you've not had
it. Health problems you have mentioned are often (but not always)
correlated with celiac, especially when occurring in clusters. The
extremely high risk of T-cell lymphoma makes it essential to know for
sure (and that is why I even mention this at all). Most people with
celiac-type gluten sensitivity are sensitive to all forms of gluten in
wheat, barley and rye, and sometimes oats as well. However, the effects
do not always manifest themselves consistently until an incredible
amount of damage is done to both the digestive and immune systems in
affected persons. Here is a brief article by Andrew Weil:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02955/Celiac-Disease.html

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot