Old 16-09-2008, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Glucose Tolerance Test?

Gluten, not glucose. TTG is "tissue transglutaminase"--- a screening
test to check the seriousness of gluten sensitivity, if you've not had
it. Health problems you have mentioned are often (but not always)
correlated with celiac, especially when occurring in clusters. The
extremely high risk of T-cell lymphoma makes it essential to know for
sure (and that is why I even mention this at all). Most people with
celiac-type gluten sensitivity are sensitive to all forms of gluten in
wheat, barley and rye, and sometimes oats as well. However, the effects
do not always manifest themselves consistently until an incredible
amount of damage is done to both the digestive and immune systems in
affected persons. Here is a brief article by Andrew Weil:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02955/Celiac-Disease.html

Isabella

Ah! Thanks. ;-)

No, I've not had that test and can probably not afford it at this time.
Even with health insurance, I still can't afford elective health care.
They only just started paying for my weekly Chiropractor visits this
morning. It was a pleasant surprise to have a credit!

I'll just avoid the wheat-type grains. They make me feel ill most of the
time when I eat them, so what's the point? That 15 bean soup I made
this past weekend did not agree with me either. :-( Sucks too. It was
delicious.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain