Old 16-09-2008, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default apricots

The message
from Fred contains these words:

Hello,

I would like to buy an apricot tree. The book the "fruit expert"
mentions Moorpark and early moorpark. Are these the best varieties for
the UK?

I visited my local garden centre and they do not have these varieties.
Instead they have Tomcot, Goldcot, and Golden Glow (IIRC). Do you have
any experience of these?

I have a south facing garden in the midlands. The label of the goldcot
said it was a US variety, especially suited to the cold, wet UK
conditions. Is this so? if so, I might be tempted to try that, unless
anyone recommends different.

I don't know anything about named varieties. I just planted half a dozen
stones from apricots bought in the greengrocer's, and several hunza
stones. Unfortunately, most of these died when I was away for a week
during a dry spell, just as they were sprouting.

The one surviving hunza has reached around eight feet, growing in a
large planter, and the ordinary ones are going nicely, and will be
trained into cordons and/or espaliers in a south-facing hedge.

I've just planted fifty more hunza stones...

Someone may be along to advise on varieties - meanwhile, have you
gargled for them?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig