Old 23-02-2003, 04:27 PM
animaux

Default Going bats! Bathouse questions....

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 01:07:22 -0500, "Noctaire" wrote:

Now therein is the issue -- to hear some talk, these things can be as close
to the ground as 7-8 feet and they'll still be occupied. It's a curious
thing.

James

The recommendation to elevate it is not so much due to the bats liking the
height (though they do), but to prevent predators eating the young at night when
the mother goes out to forage. We have ours on a 15 foot, telescoping pole. We
bought one bag of quick crete, dug a hole which was wider at the bottom, and put
the bat house on the east side of the garden, with the front facing the
southwest. Bats fly east in the evening, not the other way. I wonder why? Are
they flying away from the dusk of the sun?