Old 16-09-2008, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default electrics to greenhouse

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Can i just confirm with anyone that i would need to get a NICEIC
electrician to put in a wire/socket to new greenhouse about 15 feet
from back of utility room? I already have it supplied to old greenhouse
base but new one will be 4 feet over and anyway i put the old stuff in
with a 3 foot deep trench etc.

I contacted 2 electricians and they don't know whether |I need the new
certificate thingy if it's just for that.
On the other hand i suppose i could just yank it all out if i had to
ell the house?
Janet

There is only one safe way to do it. Get a qualified electrician
to lay a preferably armoured cable, that's what I did for an 8ft run to
my garage. It doesn't need to be 3ft deep, but I covered the cable
with small hardcore, then a couple of inches of concrete which a spade
or fork will not penetrate!
I 'made do' with a piece of flex from a plug in the kitchen for years,
but regulations are tighter now, and I felt much more comfortable after
the job was done properly.

Insurance companies are clever at finding ways to avoid a payout.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply