Old 16-09-2008, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default electrics to greenhouse

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...

| Which is very stupid really isn't it! Do a the job a more dangerous
| way and you don't (officially) need a load of paperwork.

That;s bureaucracy for you! But you can still do it safely, and
then plug the circuit in.

| If you (or a friend) feel confident to do it safely yourself then just
| do it, no one is going to know whether it should or shouldn't have
| 'Part P' paperwork. In reality Part P is a complete waste of time and
| charade, it's pointless and unenforceable.

Until you have a fire or come to sell the house.

The suggestion I was given by a builder friend was to do the job properly
but get some older wire and use that as the post "Part P" stuff is marked.
That way nobody will know when the new wiring was done and will assume pre
"Part P" so there will be no difficult questions.

This is a fallacy, "Part P" stuff is not marked. The change from
red/black to brown/blue was *not* at the same time as Part P was
introduced and anyway both colours were allowed for quite some time.

--
Chris Green