Old 16-09-2008, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default apricots

In message , Fred
writes
Hello,

I would like to buy an apricot tree. The book the "fruit expert"
mentions Moorpark and early moorpark. Are these the best varieties for
the UK?

I visited my local garden centre and they do not have these varieties.
Instead they have Tomcot, Goldcot, and Golden Glow (IIRC). Do you have
any experience of these?

You might like to check the publication date of "The Fruit Expert". I
have a vague recollection that Tomcot and Goldcot are new introductions.
(IIRC, there was an article in The Garden on apricot varieties.)

I have a south facing garden in the midlands. The label of the goldcot
said it was a US variety, especially suited to the cold, wet UK
conditions. Is this so? if so, I might be tempted to try that, unless
anyone recommends different.

Thanks.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley