Old 16-09-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
DavidM[_2_] DavidM[_2_] is offline

Default Skippy filter, help please?

bannrikae wrote:
Hi
I wish to make a skippy filter from a 150 Gal Rubbermaid stock tank.

I have spent some time on google and searching this forum, but can't
find any suppliers for the Rubbermaids in the UK.

I see from reading this forum that many of you are using this tank and
was wondering if you could tell me where you got them from.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using a Skippy style filter here in the UK. I had a quick search
around for rubbermaid tanks, but can't remember finding anywhere
helpful. I just used the tank from our Oase filter instead.

I can't see why it needs a rubbermaid tank rather than any other kind.
If I remember correctly they describe using a plastic barrel, and that
not working so well. Perhaps it was too high and made the pump work too
hard. Our tank is about a 2' cube and works well.

One improvement that I made recently was to use greenhouse screening to
contain all of the filter media. It's a kind of green woven material
with big gaps. I lay that into the tank and pack the media on top of it,
then put another layer over the media to hold it in place.

Good luck with yours,

DavidM