Old 17-09-2008, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default My capsicum. Again.

In article , "Mary Fisher" writes:
| I was astonished to see, after a half day of sunshine on Saturday, that
| about half of the skin of some of the round fruits was a brilliant,
| beautiful, cherry red - not orangey. The long thinner ones are going from
| green to yellow.
|
| I'd expected, if any ripened at all, them to turn orange before going red.

No, they don't, for some reason - perhaps the red and yellow are two
forms of one pigment, controlled in a simple Mendelian fashion. I was
taken aback when one of my Lemon Drop turned red. Some have all
colours of fruit, but there isn't the progression that some fruits
have.

| AND I have one tiny mauve and white striped aubergine!
|
| pride

Well done!

| On that sunny day I talked to a nurseryman who was selling capsicum plants
| which were about 15" high, with fruits like mine, in 4" pots. I find it hard
| to believe that they'd have grown so lush in such a small amount of compost.
| Perhaps he 'helped' them ... he certainly kept the height down by cutting
| them.

Daily or twice-daily watering, often with liquid fertiliser.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.