Old 17-09-2008, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Eucalyptus Tree Question

"Henry VIII" wrote in message
We have just moved to a new home that has two fifty-foot eucalyptus trees
in the back yard about 20 feet from the house. The area where the trees
are is plain dirt that has never been planted/irrigated.

Do you mean plain soil?

The tree roots do not
appear above ground.

Most absorbing roots are in the upper four inches of soil. They also may be
inside nurse logs if you have that ecological stage. If tree roots
(non-woody) are growing in fine mulch than the mulch is too thick. Most
woody roots of most trees are usually in upper 3-4 feet, I believe. there
are some extremes like in mine shafts.

We'd like to pour concrete in the back yard area to make a patio. Any
suggestions on what to do or not do when laying out the concrete forms
such as minimum distance to the trunks?

As far as possible from trunk. Set up barriers to keep people and equipment
off soil in area keeping. Have an arborist do construction protection.
Finding a dedicated arborist with required knowledge of trees and associates
may be hard for you to find. Dr. Shigo made a list of questions to ask a
person to see if they have a basic understanding of the patient.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ES/quiz_2.html I would take
this seriously. If woody roots are wounded prune them correctly back to
good wood.
See pruning roots at bottom of page.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

When you prune the roots I would suggest adding water and microelements
because the tree will get its only free drink of water. Not nitrogen! Just
microelements.

The undisturbed project area should be "properly" mulched to reduce soil
compaction and such. tell workers to stay off mulch.
Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

The trees have been here a long time and we don't want to do anything that
will injure them. This is in Los Angeles.

Than phone me and let me walk you through this.

Also be aware of problems associated with upper four inches of soil and
contents.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Thanks.

No, thank you!