Old 17-09-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Giant Hog Weed

In article ,
Brian Robertson writes:
| Anyone good at identifying this? About 12" tall and looks like a total
| pain in the ass? To add to the infestation of Knot Weed that I found the
| other day and the Himalayan Balsalm that is just EVERYWHERE?
|
| Not in my garden, but on a part of the National Cycle Network that I
| help manage. But at this rate of infestation, in my garden, your garden,
| EVERY garden. What is happening to our countryside?
|
| Seriously though, if I post a pic of some Giant Hog Weed, anyone able to
| say yes or no?

Well, yes, but the most likely 12' umbellifer is hogweed, so what the
hell? I assume that you meant 12' (feet) and not 12" (inches). Put
it up on a Web site and post the URL, if you like, but it isn't really
worth the effort.

Despite the hysterics, it ISN'T taking over the UK. And, to answer
your question, almost all of the UK flora is recent, and a very high
proportion is introduced, so what the hell?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.