Old 18-09-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

I appreciate the time you took to post me a warning Isabella. Truly I do!
I really do doubt tho' that it'll be a problem for me as I almost
totally avoid processed foods.

I kind of hate sticking my nose in offering unsolicited info but I also
feel a responsibility since this condition has been so under-diagnosed
because US med schools taught that it was rare in the US. It's
heartbreaking to see people suffering (and dying) so needlessly.

It is very underdiagnosed! I read a pamphlet once I found at the VA
emergency room that as many as 1 in 5 people in the US are allergic or
sensitive to "wheat proteins".

That's a LOT of people.

I live mostly on freshly cooked meat, leafy greens, and fresh and fresh
frozen veggies. I don't eat bread or ANY grain products anymore except
for some rice, corn and occasionally legumes.

It's a life style. :-)

People often say to me, "I could never live like that"--- a diet absent
of wheat, rye and barley that is. We ate at Applebee's the other day
due to a power outage and no other places having power. Salad was the
only thing they had that I could eat and most of the dressing was out of
the question too.

Oops! I'll have to watch the dressings! That's one I missed. Right now
I'm using mostly a vinegar and oil with herbs. I make my own here at
home but often used bottled ones at work.

My favorite dressing is plain lime mayo. ;-d

All their chicken is bagged & brined with
wheat-tainted mixtures.

Very common nowadays. :-(

And their ground beef is mixed with TVP which
often has wheat.

I'm so glad my local grocery store has fresh ground beef daily!
We rarely eat out anymore so that helps a lot too. Most of the food is
so WAY oversalted! Even my sister agrees with me so I prepped food here
at home then we cooked "in" for her last birthday. We had bacon wrapped
steaks and shrimp/mushroom/bacon kebabs, with fresh green salad.

Most everything else is pre-breaded. The waitress
said to me, "I could never live on your diet." And all I could think
was how awful the Applebee's food/menu was!

Heh! :-) I feel ya! Breaded meat is a travesty for health in many
ways.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain