Old 18-09-2008, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Robertson[_2_] Brian Robertson[_2_] is offline

Default Giant Hog Weed

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Brian Robertson writes:

| Hog Weed is fairly rare in my experience, but it spreads. (Yes I did
| mean 12') Knot weed I find to be depressingly problematic, virtually
| closing some paths when in full bloom and wiping out the other plant
| life around it. Balsalm is just everywhere and, like Knot Weed, seems to
| wipe out the competition.

Knotweed does have that effect, but I have seen neither hogweed nor
Himalayan balsam eliminate other plants.

| I think they are all introduced. No, they aren't taking over the UK, but
| they do seem to be leaving deep and unpleasant scars.

Just like sweet chestnut! Seriously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

If they are growing thickly enough, I suspect that any of these plants
would reduce diversity in a given area. Knotweed is, indeed, the worst
offender though. When it falls back in the winter it leaves a barren
wasteland behind it. Of course the real danger with Hogweed lies in what
its sap does.

What upset me about these particular infestations is that they are small
patches and presumably new, which leaves me wondering (Fearing) what
that same river bank will look like in 5 or 10 years time. The other
side of the river is a jungle of knot weed.

Shame. There ain't no money to stop it.

Brian.