Old 09-04-2003, 08:08 PM
JNJ

Default Need to ID a Pear tree....

Has anybody heard of this, taking and hitting a tree with a baseball bat
or
stick to shock the tree into blooming. My cousin has done it with his

apple
trees and he says it works. My mom says she has also done this. Anyone

ever
heard of this?

They were just talking about that on a segment on DIY the other day as well.
The idea is that the impacts (not too hard) convince the tree it is
threatened. When a tree feels its survival is threatened it typically
produces fruits/seeds. I have to admit, when I first saw the segment I
laughed -- the host first says that you have to threaten a tree then says...
"To do this, get a wood baseball bat...." then he proceeds to swack the tree
4 times. I suppose the theory is sound, although anyone who knows what
you're doing will probably look at you funny. :P

James