Old 18-09-2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Comcast is ending newsgroup support :(

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

Hmm...I detect sarcasm LOL.

I'm with CenturyTel. I have a 3Mbps DSL line, and the only restrictions on
it are I can't do anything illegal. Unlike Comcasts draconian acceptable use
policies, Centel lets me run public servers, p2p servers, host game servers,
etc. If it's not illegal, I can max out my bandwidth 24/7. And it costs
~$60/month. And they don't tell me what I can or cannot do with my service,
barring illegal activities and perhaps some immoral/unethical/porn related
activities - hmm...I'm not sure if I can run a porn site or not, not that
I'm interested in doing so. I never bothered to check since that really
isn't high on my to-do list.

I have a paid Giganews account, $8/month. I've had this for several years
now, as I've never found an ISP that provides newsgroup service that is
worthwhile.

Cable blows chunks. Most if not all cable providers have uber restrictive
acceptable use policies. DSL is good if you have decent phone lines and can
get the higher speeds. Most DSL providers are not very restrictive with
their acceptable use policies, so you can run web servers, etc., and for a
nominal fee you can get a static IP address. no-ip works just fine for me
.

Useful information Zootal

With comcast. I do have the triple play, $135/month. Internet part is
$45 for an average of 10Mbs line. My max bandwidth is 250GB/month. Some
of my programming files and downloads are very large many over 200MB. So
speed is a factor for me and the bandwidth is more than enough for my
needs.

$60/ month is high for a DSL line, are you paying extra for a business
package that allows public servers? plus $8/month for Giganews. If I
wanted to run a public server I would have to upgrade to a business
package.

I will wait till the end of October. I will try the free newsgroup
servers first like http://news.motzarella.org/ before paying extra to
GigaNews.

Even thou I do live in the country. There is a T6 Fiber Optics and
Comcast lines running in front of my home going to the Power Companies
six miles down the road. Fortunate for me the wind always blows away
from me.

I am surprised that no other comcast person has not responded yet.
So it seems I have missed posted here.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.