Old 18-09-2008, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Robertson[_2_] Brian Robertson[_2_] is offline

Default Giant Hog Weed

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Brian Robertson
writes

Hog Weed is fairly rare in my experience, but it spreads. (Yes I did
mean 12') Knot weed I find to be depressingly problematic, virtually
closing some paths when in full bloom and wiping out the other plant
life around it. Balsalm is just everywhere and, like Knot Weed, seems
to wipe out the competition.

I think they are all introduced. No, they aren't taking over the UK,
but they do seem to be leaving deep and unpleasant scars.
Brian.

I have only seen giant Hog Weed in one area, (must repeat that local
walk some time and check again).

I spend a couple of hours each week as a volunteer on conservation work
in a local country park, and most of the time I have been a member of
the group has been spent removing introduced species like rhododendron
and Indian balsam.
The latter IS taking over in low-lying areas especially close to the
river, and only when it is pulled up in Summer does the other vegetation
manage to recover. We usually have about 12 members plus two or
three wardens engaged in the work, and that is not enough to clear the
whole park of the stuff, which is over 6ft tall in some places.
Last week the effort was concentrated on clearing it from an area where
it was concealing the Japanese Knot Weed, which will be the job of the
wardens to tackle with injected "stuff" which requires them to apply for
a licence every year.

In the areas which have been cleared, ferns, foxglove and various
wildflowers thrive, but balsam overwhelms just about everything,
including nettles, where it grows unchecked. :-(
-
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Glad you agree with me!

Tameside volunteer wardens seem to devote a massive amount of time to
fighting balsalm and I have seen parts of the Bollin Valley in Cheshire
where there is hogweed like a forest along the river banks. Thoroughly
unpleasant species IMHO.

Brian.