Old 18-09-2008, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Giant Hog Weed

In article ,
Brian Robertson writes:

| I spend a couple of hours each week as a volunteer on conservation work
| in a local country park, and most of the time I have been a member of
| the group has been spent removing introduced species like rhododendron
| and Indian balsam.
| The latter IS taking over in low-lying areas especially close to the
| river, and only when it is pulled up in Summer does the other vegetation
| manage to recover.

What climatic conditions? I.e. location?

Where I have seen Himalayan balsam, it has been fairly sparse; I know
that it needs lots of water and dislikes shade, but there is more to
it than that. From your reference to rhododendron, I assume that you
are posting from the west and not too far north, as Rhododendron
ponticum is not a problem elsewhere. If recent years become typical,
that may change, but some other species would invade the previously
dry areas if they didn't.

I have never heard of hogweed growing densely, though I can't rule out
the possibility.

It really doesn't help daemonising such plants! The UK countryside
ISN'T under threat from them, though a few ecologies in a few areas
may be.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.