Old 18-09-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

"I could never live on your diet." And all I could think
was how awful the Applebee's food/menu was!

Ps, one thing I noted that when I started eating a more "restricted"
diet, it actually became LESS restricted. ;-) I started looking for
more things to increase variety so actually eat a greater variety of
fresh foods now. Knowing how to cook helps!

I love the asian markets...

I'm running out of Shaoxing wine so I need to be making a little trip
soon myself. Even with that, you have to be careful since some kinds do
have wheat in them. (You don't lick envelopes and stamps do you?)

Only with a sponge...

We've always eaten a fairly broad diet but my cooking has improved as
I've expanded my techniques and preparation methods considerably. For
instance, I roast veggies often now and I occasionally deep-fry (never
used to at all).

I use rice flour or corn starch to deep fry and only wet the food and
dredge it lightly. The fear of deep frying is over-rated unless you use
thick batters.

I also discovered deep frying bacon! Takes a fraction of the time, cooks
out a lot of the fat and does not spatter all over the stove.

Plus it adds bacon grease to your deep fryer. g I use peanut oil to
deep fry.

What I'd really love is to be able to preserve some of the sauces and
condiments I make from scratch, especially the ones that are more
time-consuming or that require unusual ingredients. Obviously, some
things are always better freshly made. But some things are better after
they've mellowed a bit. I'd like to see more recipes in this vein with
options to preserve. Examples: hoisin sauce, fermented bean sauce,
worcestershire sauce... etc.

Isabella

Have you tried freezing them?
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain