Old 18-09-2008, 10:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Chris Barnes Chris Barnes is offline

Default It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature

Derek Broughton wrote:
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

Let's get back to ponds. Aside from the cattle egrets that follow my
tractor around when I bush-hog (mow) there is one that hangs around
the pond when I "weed" with my pellet gun. It almost seems to be
attracted to the noise. It stays either well to the left or right of
my line of fire (I don't change suddenly, I work one patch of weeds
before going on to another). I haven't the foggiest why it comes,
maybe the sound of the pellets makes the grasshoppers easier to catch
or something, I really don't know, but the egret shows up so often I
have to think it isn't just a coincidence.

The sound of a pellet gun is like the sound a grasshopper makes when it
jumps, I would think.

Must be something like that. The durn things are almost impossible to
hit with a shotgun.... and don't ask me how I would know that. LOL

--

Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes