Old 19-09-2008, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Tree Treatment

Gringo

Very Very Very good question! Thank you for asking the question. Wound
dressing does not stall problems or stop problems associated with flush cut
pruning - meaning the removal of the branch collar where the branch meets
the trunk. I know of no peer reviewed published articles in international
journals supporting the use or benefits of use of wound dressing.

"Microorganisms have their picnics and parties under wound dressings."
"When a tree is wounded, you should not treat only the wound but the entire
tree."
Shigo 1999

I agree with the latter

Wound Dressing
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._dressing.html

Making correct pruning cuts is the key to healthy results. Wound dressing
does nothing to help the tree seal the wound.
If you left some stubs than there might be hope.
Check this section on pruning. See targets.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

Best book to get is TREE PRUNING A worldwide photo guide by Alex L. Shigo.
Your library should have it or can get it. They sell their own books at
www.shigoandtrees.com Lucid information.

I often wish wound dressing worked when I make a bad cut. It just does not.
The story is that you can do anything you want to the tree and all you have
to do is paint it black and it is a forgiveness of sin. It just don't work
that way!

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Gringo" wrote in message

I have pruned some trees in my garden and I am trying to find out what
the TAR treatment is called to seal the severed branches
All help will be appreciated

--
Gringo