Old 19-09-2008, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

More than once, I've heard that rice flour results in a crispier
outcome. But they did not say which kind of rice flour or if that makes
a difference.

I just bought "rice flour" from the asian market.

Corn starch gives an even crispier coating and also coats better.

I also discovered deep frying bacon! Takes a fraction of the time, cooks
out a lot of the fat and does not spatter all over the stove.

Plus it adds bacon grease to your deep fryer. g I use peanut oil to
deep fry.

At my regular grocery, a 24 oz container (largest size) of peanut oil
costs about $6. I'm looking for another source. I used to use it for
wok cooking all the time but switched to extra light olive oil which has
a high enough smoking point. I prefer peanut oil though.

If you filter and refrigerate the used oil, it's good for several
fryings. For regular pan and stir fry, I use Olive or more lately,
coconut oil. Grape seed is good too.

What I'd really love is to be able to preserve some of the sauces and
condiments I make from scratch, especially the ones that are more
time-consuming or that require unusual ingredients. Obviously, some
things are always better freshly made. But some things are better after
they've mellowed a bit. I'd like to see more recipes in this vein with
options to preserve. Examples: hoisin sauce, fermented bean sauce,
worcestershire sauce... etc.

Have you tried freezing them?

Yes. But I'm running out of freezer space. That is my only option.

Get a bigger freezer. g
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain