Old 09-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Jon

Default spring onions(again)

My experience (pretty limited) with spring onions is that they are very slow
to develop. Mine are very thin and approx 1 inch under mini polytunnels
after about 4 weeks. They do however develop fine eventually and last very
well. I think I had the last of last years crop in late Jan or early Feb.
The tops are probably just nipped alittle by frost and will recover fine.
Water situation: don't know. I just try to keep mine moist, i.e. neither wet
nor dry. I,m sure they'll be OK and they are just the best in a cheese
sandwich:-)
Jonny
miklol wrote in message ...
Despite the help from some gardeners out there, my spring onions are
struggling they have got to 3-4 inches
eventually, but are very thin and weedy and seem to be dying off on the
tops. Could it be too much or too
little water ? ( and will this affect my onions and shallots which seem to
be shooting well ?). I put the spring
onions in a small plastic type shelter at night to protect them from frost
but am not sure if they should be in
the sun or shade during the hot weather. Obviously I am very much a

beginner
so I will be grateful for any
help