Old 18-09-2008, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Wind resistant fruit trees....

The message

from contains these words:

Look athttp://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/lewis/and see id that looks
bleak enough. Then look in the dry-stone-walled garden of the
crofthouse. The green things are apple trees.

Yes, that looks pretty bleak :-)
I have been advised that fruit trees don't like wind so I was hoping
there might be some exceptionally resilient varieties.
Do you know what variety of apple the trees are?

One was a Cox - that's Cox's Orange Pippin, not what passes for a Cox
these days, another was a russet of some sort, and I think one might
have been a codlin.

The soil was almost pure peat and the leaves always got wind-burnt, but
the fruit was excellent, though rather small.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig