Old 19-09-2008, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Hunza Apricots

On Sep 19, 5:37*am, Tim Perry
wrote:
Pam Moore;816327 Wrote:

They need soaking overnight. *I have not yet
succeeded in growing any, but have not tried that hard!
If you succeed let me know!

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Pam and Cath, As I understand it hunzas are dried with the stone
left in, unlike ordinary apricots.
If they are the same as most other drupes they take 18 months to
germinate. This would imply a normal ripening time around September,
like plums, then 18 months on to start growing in April.
If I wanted to speed things up I would have to give them 2 'artificial
winters' in the fridge, with a warm period between,
then if I gently cracked the shells and planted then in March,
I just might have a chance.
I take your point, Cath, about getting the best out of them, but
in truth I just enjoy the challenge. Mostly I fail, but that just makes
each tiny success all the more exciting.

That is very true, and I have shown my ignorance re. hunza dried
apricot coming with stones in.
Regarding your last point, this here eternal optimist has 2 fig trees
in pots, on the southish facing gable end of the house, which she
cajoles, massages and serenades daily... I have currently 7 figs
between them, about the size of the last knuckle in my thumb, and hard
as stones. Of course, they'll never ripen, but I'm chuffed to bits -
I only had 3 of those little ones last year!
So, I hear you :-)
Good luck with the hunzas.

Cat(h)