Old 19-09-2008, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Hunza Apricots

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 05:37:14 +0100, Tim Perry
wrote:

Thanks Pam and Cath, As I understand it hunzas are dried with the stone
left in, unlike ordinary apricots.
If they are the same as most other drupes they take 18 months to
germinate. This would imply a normal ripening time around September,
like plums, then 18 months on to start growing in April.
If I wanted to speed things up I would have to give them 2 'artificial
winters' in the fridge, with a warm period between,
then if I gently cracked the shells and planted then in March,
I just might have a chance.

They grow up in the Himalayas, and survive very cold winters. The
idea of 2 winters is a good one. Freezer or fridge? I have already
soaked and eaten some and am now pondering on how to give them the
best chance.
I've grown French Mirabelles from the stones of fresh fruits, so these
should have a chance, although dried. I assume the Hunza apricots
have not been heat-treated?

Good luck

Pam in Bristol