Old 20-09-2008, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default tree points

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
On Sep 16, 6:57 pm, "symplastless" wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message

On Sep 14, 7:40 pm, "symplastless" wrote:

Thank you for your input.

Chris show me one per. table that identifies elements as nutrients.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

The table I mentioned above (the one in Campbell & Reece) has is
titled "Plant Nutrients" and it has two columns. The first is divided
into two subsections, titled macronutrients and micronutrients.
Nitrogen, for example, is listed as a macronutrient. The second column
is titled, "Form available to plants." When we look there, we see the
(macro)nutrient nitrogen is available not as N or even N2, but only as
NO3- or NH4+. So the plants cannot absorb elemental nitrogen (the
common atmospheric form of which is N2) but they must get their
nitrogen as either nitrate or ammonia.

Note the difference between humans and plants here. Human nutrients
are commonly listed (and I have taught nutrition as well as General
Biology) as energy, protein, carbohydrate, lipid, water, minerals, &
vitamins.

God help your students. So what kind of energy are we talking here,
kinetic or potential?

Define element

define nutrient

define food