Old 20-09-2008, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314 Pavel314 is offline

Default Grape vine - Fruit too small

"LittliPixie" wrote in message

Hi,

We've recently moved home, and in the garden there was a very old grape
vine, it's beautiful and intend on keeping it. This year we had
hundreds of bunches of grapes however the grapes only grow to the size
of small peas (red grapes). I was wondering if there was anything that
i could do to improve the size of the crop. Not sure what type of grape
vine it is as like i mentioned it is quite a mature grape vine, and i
don't think the previous owners have really looked after it or really
prunned it. I was thinking of pruning it this year maybe that would
help, but have no idea how far back i should prune this vine back to.

Hope someone can help!

The plants are probably currants, a relative of the grape with small fruits.
They're frequently used to make jelly or jam, and can be used as a flavoring
in various recipies. Check on Google for recipies.

Paul