Old 20-09-2008, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Hunza Apricots

The message
from Tim Perry contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2;816474 Wrote:

'Course, it would help if you said just where you were innit.

Hunzas are always sold dry, AFAIK. They are left to dessicate on the
bush/shrub and picked dry, or so I've been told.

You are right of course Rusty, I'm in the Dereham area, so Norwich
market is the best choice. I don't go there very often, but my son
does.

There's a health food stall in Wymondham market which usually has them
too (I found on Friday) but before you rush out to get some, they're out
of stock ATM.

Given the climate they come from, I'm hoping they will prove winter
hardy, but as far as fruiting goes I guess it will be a gamble.

No gamble. They'll survive winters far harder than this climate can
throw at them.

Do you think my plan to break dormancy has a chance ?

Well, if the ones I've planted take as long as you suggest they might, I
may be tempted to try it myself.

I know I could just bung them in and wait, but I'm no spring chicken,
so I try to speed things up as much as possible, would be nice to see
something grow before I peg out.

Well, I'm no spring chicken either, and on an eighteen month waiting
time, I'll be seventy when they sprout...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig