Old 20-09-2008, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Hunza Apricots

The message
from Tim Perry contains these words:

I like to call myself optimistic, most of my pals say I'm just nuts.
This year I grew Pawpaws, Goji, Bananas, Avocado, and Loquats. I doubt
if any will survive the winter, let alone ever bear fruit, but at least
I did manage to germinate them.

Avocado may survive. Auntie Beeb (GQT) reported an avocado tree in a
garden in London, and that bears fruit. Whether it ripens they didn't
say. (Or if they did, I've forgotten.)

I've grown passionfruit this year and have four nice little vines. When
I get the plastic to cover the 'greenhouse' I shall set them loose in
it. Well, maybe two of them.

I spread last year's compost heap a few weeks ago and there are dozens
of small tomato plants. I'll see what can be done to retard these (in
pots) until the spring, when I can put them out to bask in the Tropic of
Norfolk.

I have fig trees growing in my lawn, each about 10ft tall, the fruit
gets about tangerine size. The flesh between skin and seed is sweet
enough, but they taste nothing like 'real' figs.

What do you mean by 'real' figs? You won't get the pips in this country
unless global warming entices over the little wasp which fertilises
them.

Mine taste like figs to me - juicy, pink, chin-dribblingly luscious...

My excuse is that I'm still learning, that's why I ask so many
questions, one day I'll get there.

No you won't. None of us does...

At the moment I still make lots of
stupid mistakes - like posting a question, and forget to say where I
am.

Just don't think you're alone in that. People have posted from places
like Antarctica and Arizona - I exaggerate a bit, but not a lot.

Lucky for me there are lots of more experienced and knowledgable
gardeners out there who are prepared to pass on advice.

But beware! None of us is infallible!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig