Old 20-09-2008, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Hunza Apricots

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

They grow up in the Himalayas, and survive very cold winters. The
idea of 2 winters is a good one. Freezer or fridge? I have already
soaked and eaten some and am now pondering on how to give them the
best chance.

I slice them round and peel them off the stones and eat them dry(ish) as
The Good Lord intended...

The stones from the last bag have been soaked and put into cellular
trays under potting compost. Worked last time.

I've grown French Mirabelles from the stones of fresh fruits, so these
should have a chance, although dried. I assume the Hunza apricots
have not been heat-treated?

No, they are as Nature prepared them.

I'll post some more up-to-date pics soon - the holly tree which shaded
the fig, hunza and vines has been cut down to size (a tad less than
knee-height!) and the Lonicera nitida grubbed-up, so an Indian summer
might ripen a few grapes. Figs will be fine, and the hunza is still
reaching for the sky.

It's in a big planter and underplanted with cranberries. Next year, mayhap?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig