Old 20-09-2008, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Hunza Apricots

The message
from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

That is very true, and I have shown my ignorance re. hunza dried
apricot coming with stones in.
Regarding your last point, this here eternal optimist has 2 fig trees
in pots, on the southish facing gable end of the house, which she
cajoles, massages and serenades daily... I have currently 7 figs
between them, about the size of the last knuckle in my thumb, and hard
as stones. Of course, they'll never ripen, but I'm chuffed to bits -
I only had 3 of those little ones last year!

My fig tree was kept in a pot for a year and then planted three years
ago in a sunken bath, with a trail of rubble in the bottom for drainage,
a bit of man-made fibre carpet on top of that, and loads of lovely soil
over the top.

Until it grows higher than the 'Ablutions Block' it gets sun from
morning to mid-afternoon, and has produced figs for those three years.
Given a big enough pot, you should have figs next year. Just protect the
little ones from frost and they will survive the winter - I've had two
crops this year - one from the overwintered little ones, and another,
just coming on to ripening (had about five so far) which will produce
about thirty figs.

So, I hear you :-)
Good luck with the hunzas.

I'll nick a bit of that good luck, if you don't mind. I've just planted
fifty stones...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig