Old 21-09-2008, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Winchester lever action, model 88.
Dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday so I've had it for 30 years.
Kicks like a mule, but not too bad if you bench it right.

I could use the AR-15 and I'm told .223 would work for hogs, but I'd
rather make sure I get a 1 shot kill and prefer a head shot.

I just had a feeling it might be a Winchester.

Most common.

True but it was the Annie Oakley image that made me think of it. VBG

I wouldn't use a .22
either though they are great for small, irritating pests like squirrels.
Too bad they don't have heat-seeking nano-missiles for the moles.

.223 is not quite the same as .22.
Same diameter, but a considerably larger powder load. Muzzle velocity
exceeds 3,000 fps. You don't get that with .22. g

Holy mackerel, you sure don't. Very interesting! Not much prairie dog
left I imagine.

...It hits with explosive force. You should see what it does to to a
prairie dog at 100 yards. You shoot a squirrel with that, there
won't be enough left of it to skin and cook. Squirrel is good eating
so yes, I do use either a BB gun or .22 for them and bunnies.
Remember, AR-15's are used for hunting Terrorist humans.
This particular one tho' is a hunting rifle. Not law enforcement or army:

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...VMS24FVAR9.asp

And here I thought Bushmaster was either a cucumber or a snake.

Ob gardens: The feral hogs really do a number on some people's gardens
so welcome hunters in some areas. And yes, some of them can get to be
quite large!

My DH was telling me he used to see them all the time at Fort Sill---
those and the armadillos. I was sitting at the table cutting beans the
other day (what else do I ever do anymore?) and one of my ancho pepper
plants on the deck started shaking like crazy. I watched as a squirrel
chewed right though my lashing I had used to anchor the stake (they get
so high!) to my deck rail. There must be millions of acorns and walnuts
in the forest right behind our house. But nooooooooooo..... they have
to come up on the deck after my peppers--- which do exceptionally well
in September and October btw. I don't bother them unless they bother
me.

I repeat, Squirrel is good eating. g
I just skin them wet (to keep the fur from shedding), clean and quarter
them, then lightly fry them in olive oil and lemon pepper. They are
quite toothsome.

I've eaten lots of game since my dad and uncles were all hunting
devotees, but I've never liked squirrel.

At least one deer got into the garden last night and polished off the
tops of all the chard and a couple rows of beans. It must have figured
out how to get under the wire. So... it looks like I won't have as many
beans to freeze. I'm just sooooo disappointed (NOT). I did nine pints
of chile sauce the other day... probably my last decent haul of
tomatoes. Too wet this year for a big tomato haul. The cukes are still
doing well.... I just can't believe it.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot