Old 21-09-2008, 02:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default best value water tanks??

"lentildude" wrote in message
Hi, I live in the lowerbluemountains SYD, (10 mins Penrith) and really
want to splurge on a large watertank 9000 - 20000litres. Really
confused what to get, I want the best value tank that will last at
least 20 yrs. Anyone know any bargains out there?? There are a few
sellers on EBAY but worried buying sight unseen. If I connect it to
the growing shed and not the house do I still get a govt rebate? Any
tips appreciated.

George

In my view the polymer ones are best. The polymer is UV stablized and they
have been in use for long enough to be sure that they will actually last.
Also they come in various colours and don't need painting. Concrete will
crack (especially on clay soil) and are very heavy, and galvanised iron will
rust (especially near the sea or in a polluted area). I have three polymer
ones from Bushman and I am happy with them.

As these things are rather large you need to include delivery when comparing
prices. The price per kilolitre decreases with tank size.

Something you need to work out is how in advance is how to re-arrange your
roof plumbing to capture the maximum amount of water, this is not so easy if
it was built to discharge at 3 or 4 different places. The simple solution
is to block the ends or downpipes where you don't want the water. This is
not ideal as some of the guttering is likely to fall the wrong way this can
shorten its life and accumulate muck as pools will form at the low points
where the water can no longer escape. Also if all your roof water comes
down to a single pipe the guttering is very likely to overflow in heavy rain
as the pipe will be inadequate. This will waste water and may damage your
house. If you are not experienced in this you may need a plumber.

David