Old 09-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Gene Newcomb

Default Is this plant of the genus "Strelitzia" ?

This picture looks very much like that in the American Hort. Soc.
Encyclopedia of Garden Plants which is listed as Heliconia aurantiaca
from Central America. Sorry I can't do a scan of it. 'Auriantiaca' means
yellow or golden, so it would fit with the common name on the picture
you saw.

Gene Newcomb

Bill Angel wrote:

Hi:

I came across the image of the following plant, identified
only as "Yellow Fingers", and wondered if it was of the genus
"Strelitzia"?

The reason that I thought that it might be is that it bears
some resemblance to a plant that I recently photographed.
This plant that I photographed was a "Crane Flower" or
"Strelitzia reginae":

Thanks,

Bill Angel
Silver Spring, Maryland