Old 21-09-2008, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default ideas for temporary hot house?

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in

..au:

"enigma" wrote in message
we are getting close to freezing at night now, & my
tomatoes are still quite green. i'm looking for ideas,
other than tossing sheets over them at night, to get them
through to ripening.

Do you have acess to hay bales? I've surrounded things
with hay bales leaving it open on the sunny side and
throwing a sheet of plastic over it which is lifted up on
the sunny side during the day to stop the plant cooking.

i have access... but, mulch hay (hay that has been wet or
otherwise unsuitable for feed) is US$6/bale. straw is around
$9/bale.
i have a preorder in for my winter hay (@250bales), which i
fortunately get a large discount for because i always buy from
him, but i can't take delivery until the arse that's supposed
to be building my barn (& i haven't seen since February) fixes
the damned roof leak... and pours the floor, puts in the
stairs to the loft & fixes the warped doors (anyone in New
England, avoid Dream Barns!)
i suppose i could have my hay delivered & use the stuff that
gets ruined from the leaks... but that hardly seems cost
effective
i strogly suspect that PVC pipes for a hoop house is cheaper
than mulch hay around here.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair