Old 21-09-2008, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Bulbs

Byard Sheppard wrote:
My wife bought some bulbs while on holiday in the UK, now on her return
to Vietnam she has been told that she must Vernalise them or they won't
flower.
A quick ask around the bar came up with nothing positive on method,
other than bunging them in the fridge for a week or two.
Is there a time of year when this should be done and for how long, at
what temp is the freezer too cold.
It was also suggested that she might get more than one flowering cycle
per year??????

It depends on what bulbs she bought. Bulbs like tulips and hyacniths
need a vernalization period (cooling period) for at least 10 weeks at a
temperature around 40F (5C) to flower. I would not put them in the
freezer.

In Vietnam (it has been 40 years since I've been there) Tulips are "one
time bloomers" unless you dig them up (after they bloom and the foliage
dies back) and store them as outlined above.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL