Old 09-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Cuttings from woody plants

At 08:33 PM 4/9/03 +0100, kevin bailey wrote:
A couple of things I would add for those just starting out in this.
Timing is one of the most critical aspects for most cuttings. Though
successes may be had at other times of year, taking them at the optimum
time really increases the chances of a good strike rate. Good shrub and
tree books should have a section on propagation and timings for many
species can be found in these...

Kevin

Absolutely true. Timing can be crucial. In my experience the best time for
most woody species (all other factors being equal) is semi hardwood stage
in early summer. This is the time of the year when the first set of leaves
have hardened off and plants are taking a breath before starting another
growth spurt. In my part of the world, this late May and early June. Strike
rates are usually still good through July. By August it is getting too late
for a high success rate, but plants still do root. Sept is miserable, not
worth the effort.

I don't do hardwoods in winter very often, but cuttings can be taken after
leaf drop in the fall and stored over the winter and planted out in early
spring. This is not a common practice anymore, but it can still be done for
many woody species.

Timing for a few species is absolutely crucial. Birches seem to have a very
narrow window in summer, just prior to end bud set. This is a period of
only about two weeks. There are just an incredible number of tricks to
successful propagation, but hey, it's fun.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++