Old 21-09-2008, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Two magnolia questions

Chris Nelson wrote:
The house I moved into this spring has a beautiful magnolia tree in
the back yard but there is essentially no grass under the tree. It
was a little sunken and I filled with top soil and reseeded with a
shade mix early in the summer. The grass came in well but then died.
We had a fairly wet summer and I didn't fertilize after the starter
fertilizer so I don't think I "burned" it. I checked the pH and it's
nearly neutral. Is there something about magnolias that would keep
the grass from growing well?

Also, there's one branch that's a bit low and I'd like to prune it.
Should I do that in the fall or the spring?

Magnolia grandiflora (which is what I think of when I read the name) or one
of the other several dozen varieties?

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]