Old 21-09-2008, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damson Trees?

"Joan Edington" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm not that good at gardening and especially at identifying species of
anything. We moved into our house nearly 20 years ago and have a fairly
large garden with a wildish bit over the fence at the bottom. There is a
row of trees there that have simply seemed a nuisance and we constantly
cut back. Mini trees crop up all over the garden that have similar leaves
so we have blamed the rogues at the bottom.
Last year, for the first time, it had a crop of what seemed to be damsons.
I looked up pictures and all seemed to point to me being right. I made
several pots of jam which I've yet to try.
This year, no crop again and I'm starting to worry about whether they
really are damson trees. If they are, it's unusual behaviour to fruit
every 20 years?!?!? Not much money in that for growers. If not, what
could they be and is the jam safe to eat? I was looking forward to it.

I have several damson trees which fruit every year. This year I had hardly
any as we had a late frost that took most of the blossom out.
Last year was a very good year.. they were groaning with fruit.
They don't seem to like being pruned very much so constantly cutting them
back might not help. Try leaving them alone for a while and see what
happens.
Eat your jam. There's nothing I can think of that looks like a damson that
doesn't make good jam ;-)