Old 22-09-2008, 01:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Ants in the lawn

"Sacha" wrote in message

Vim, or similar, works for ants as a circle round their active area. But
as
they carry no diseases or painful illnesses/deaths/etc. with them, I am
not
bothered by them at all. And I write as one who had two warring nests the
size of two very large soup plates on the dining room carpet one day,
moons
ago. Mice and rats - yuk and filth and dangerous. Ants - fascinating.

Living on a farm, I get lots of rats and mice and I don't mind them most of
the time. I do object that they bring snakes being as they are fodder for
the snakes. I do object to snakes when they are close to the house but can
live with them out in the paddocks.

I've even found mice in my closed plastic compost bins to be beneficial as
they seem to make the stuff break down quicker by actively mining/turning
it. And rats keep the JRs amused. I put them into the chook pen yesterday
to do a hut but the lazy little sods didn't do a lot. I'm going back in
with them this morning with a pick and I'll start the digging into the rat
holes and then let the Jacks rip.