Old 09-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Twobtold

Default Ideas for 63 x 3 plot sought

From: (TakeThisOut)

You have rocks in NJ? My aunt has nothing but sand, and hauls mine away with
her whenever she visits me here on Long Island.

Your aunt must live by the Jersey shore. Here in north Bergen County no matter
where I dig in this yard I hit rocks after 4 or 5 inches.

I'd look into perennials that completely die back in the winter -

OK

snowplows
have been known to break my mailbox at the base (4x4 lumber) just from
pushing
less than 12" of snow off the street and onto this "grassy knoll."

Yes, I know whay you mean. Had a plow driver one snowy night bypass the gutter,
the grass strip & the sidewalk, hook the end of his plow over the little
decorative wall surrounding my plants on the lawn and then backup, ripping out
a section of the wall.

I wouldn't
go with shrubs... although they would cut down on street noise if you're on a
busy street...

Well yeah, you are probably right, but I have 4 planted already.

How about Cannas?

I did have canna planted on the lawn-side of the sidewalk one year and they
looked great. I lifted them and re-planted the next year and got zilch.

Thanks for your ideas.