Old 22-09-2008, 07:37 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
[email protected] karlfredrickson@gmail.com is offline

Default Arizona orchid

http://math.ucsd.edu/~kfredric/orchid.jpg

Me and my friend found this orchid while hiking in the Sierra Ancha
wilderness in Tonto National Forest, Gila county, Arizona, in mid
September. Does anyone know what species it could be? Based on some
internet research my best guess is Piperia unalascensis because the
area it was in was quite dry - there were cactuses growing nearby.
But the sites i've looked at say this species does not occur in
Arizona. As you can see, the flowers are dried up and some of the
plants had fruits.