Old 22-09-2008, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate kate is offline

Default ideas for temporary hot house?

Kevin Cherkauer wrote:
An outside the box solution is to harvest them green and enjoy them that
way. Green tomatoes are yummy! Slice them up and fry them in olive oil --
mmmm. Or boil them and puree them into soup.

No matter how long and warm the summer there always seem to be a bunch of
green ones that aren't going to ripen before the first frost. I used to
write these off every year, but last year I thought, "Hey -- wasn't there a
movie called 'Fried Green Tomatoes'?" So I went online looking for green
tomato recipes. There are loads of them! I had never had a green tomato
before -- I can't believe I was missing such a treat for all those years.
They don't taste anything like ripe tomatoes -- they have a flavor all their
own.

Utopia in Decay
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site

Kevin Cherkauer

"enigma" wrote:

we are getting close to freezing at night now, & my tomatoes
are still quite green. i'm looking for ideas, other than
tossing sheets over them at night, to get them through to
ripening.

They are also good in chutney.