Old 22-09-2008, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default ideas for temporary hot house?

"Kevin Cherkauer" wrote:

No matter how long and warm the summer there always seem to be a bunch of
green ones that aren't going to ripen before the first frost.

This is true... folks who grow tomatoes would realize this... there
are many crops that are not ripened at the end of the growing season,
there are many ways to prepare unripened veggies.

Before frying it's best to dredge green tomato slices in seasoned
cornmeal. Green tomatoes are also great for pickling. There are many
recipes but I prefer just salt brine, no vinegar.

http://www.eco-natural.com/recipes/pickles.html

Kosher salt works fine... choose tomatoes of about the same size.

I used to
write these off every year, but last year I thought, "Hey -- wasn't there a
movie called 'Fried Green Tomatoes'?" So I went online looking for green
tomato recipes. There are loads of them! I had never had a green tomato
before -- I can't believe I was missing such a treat for all those years.
They don't taste anything like ripe tomatoes -- they have a flavor all their
own.

"enigma" wrote:
we are getting close to freezing at night now, & my tomatoes
are still quite green. i'm looking for ideas, other than
tossing sheets over them at night, to get them through to
ripening