Old 22-09-2008, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Hunza Apricots

In article ,
Tim Perry writes:

| I like to call myself optimistic, most of my pals say I'm just nuts.

I can't see why. If you don't try something new, you will never be
innovative.

| This year I grew Pawpaws, Goji, Bananas, Avocado, and Loquats. I doubt
| if any will survive the winter, let alone ever bear fruit, but at least
| I did manage to germinate them.

Merkin pawpaws or real ones? Loquat is borderline hardy and makes
a good foliage plant. The problem with avocados is that they are
big trees - even in Kew, they don't really get to fruiting size,
and they are a bit tender for the UK. The bananas we eat are
seedless, so yours will be a foliage plant.

| I have fig trees growing in my lawn, each about 10ft tall, the fruit
| gets about tangerine size. The flesh between skin and seed is sweet
| enough, but they taste nothing like 'real' figs.

No damn sun - that's the only reason - if we get a decent summer, figs
grown here taste fine :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.