Old 22-09-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael michael is offline

Default Leeks going to seed

I have been gardening for about 40 years,but still have problems
growing leeks which are very large or which do not go to seed.My
allotment is on sandy acid soil and I always add some compost to my
leek patch.I plant about six inches apart,and plant in a hole about 8"
deep using a dibber and water in.My main variety is Musselburgh,but I
have tried several others.This year in particular was quite wet,but
now several have started to produce seed heads as usual.What is the
secret?