Old 22-09-2008, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Leeks going to seed

"michael" wrote ...
I have been gardening for about 40 years,but still have problems
growing leeks which are very large or which do not go to seed.My
allotment is on sandy acid soil and I always add some compost to my
leek patch.I plant about six inches apart,and plant in a hole about 8"
deep using a dibber and water in.My main variety is Musselburgh,but I
have tried several others.This year in particular was quite wet,but
now several have started to produce seed heads as usual.What is the
secret?

From what you say I imagine you are planting them too early, ours are no way
big enough to go to seed yet and it will be well into next year before they
do. The extra compost may contribute to your problems as we plant our onions
etc in the last year of our 4 year rotation (manure on year 1) and just
throw on some Growmore and/or water with some seaweed extract to get them
growing.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden