Old 22-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren View Post

Merkin pawpaws or real ones? Loquat is borderline hardy and makes
a good foliage plant. The problem with avocados is that they are
big trees - even in Kew, they don't really get to fruiting size,
and they are a bit tender for the UK. The bananas we eat are
seedless, so yours will be a foliage plant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
See, I got it wrong again, I should have been more specific with my plant names, bear with me, I will get it right.

Pawpaws are Asimina Triloba, I thought they would have a better chance here than Carica Papaya.

Loquats used to grow in my gran's garden in London, and in my uncles garden at Epsom, Surrey. Although I'm further north, Norfolk, I thought that a little global warming might swing it.

The bananas I have growing are Musa paradisiaca, aka
M. sapientum, and M. acuminata. Both do bear edible fruit ( seeded ), if you can get them to survive. I just grew them for fun, having no expectation of fruit.

I cannot resist trying to grow something new, my other half dreads taking me shopping because I'm always on the lookout for new exotic fruit to try. Of course, the seed must be planted, just for fun.