Old 22-09-2008, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Damson Trees?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
echinosum writes:

| Of course many things grown as damsons aren't, they are "damson plums",
| ie plums that are damson-like.

Grrk. There really isn't any boundary between damsons and plums.

| But mine are Farleigh, a true damson
| raised from a wild seedling: the fruits are sloe-sized, smaller than
| cherries, ...

Well, I have Merryweather and Farleigh, too, and they are both about
the same size - both bantam's egg sized - so there is clearly a great
deal of variation in what is called Farleigh.

Yours sounds like a throwback; the smallest Prunus domestica that I
know of is mirabelle, and they are still larger than sloes and about
as big as cherries. Most damsons are bantam's egg sized.

What breed of bantam?

:-)

Mary

Regards,